ChildServe is a not-for-profit organization that partners with families to help children with special healthcare needs live a great life. Originally founded in 1928 as a convalescent home for children, today ChildServe provides specialized pediatric health care services to more than 3,500 children in Iowa. Through the support of private insurance, public funds, and the generosity of donors, ChildServe offers accessible, family-centered care unique to each child’s needs, hopes, and dreams.
Who We Serve
ChildServe provides services to children with special healthcare needs. In creating a common understanding of the term special health care needs, we note the term "health" is more than a medical definition or the absence of disability. To ChildServe, health is a state of physical, social, cognitive, environmental, and spiritual well-being. This broader concept of health helps us understand the parameters of great life.
- Age: birth through the child’s 21st birthday;
- Chronic: an ongoing need that requires care and support of a type and duration that is beyond what a child requires generally;
- Needs: specialty health care and related support services;
- Health: a child’s state of well-being that includes five health dimensions: physical health, social health, cognitive health, emotional health, and spiritual health;
- Disability: developmental and/or physical conditions that includes a continuum of need from a developmental delay requiring short term care to significant disability requiring continuing care and support;
- Psychiatric: we are not equipped to serve children whose primary need is psychiatric care and treatment;
- Inclusion: we include children without special healthcare needs in the Johnston and Ames childcare services which positively impacts the developmental environment for children with special healthcare needs.
Seeing is Believing!
We love introducing members of our community to ChildServe. Most of these people already knew what we do – care for children with special healthcare needs – but it’s seeing how we do it that makes them become Believers themselves. “Believing in the spirit of a child” is the promise that we make to the children we serve, to each other, and to our community every day, in everything we do. As you become familiar with our spectrum of services, our top-notch facilities, and the stories of the children and families that we serve, we hope you will see that it is our belief in this spirit that enables us to fulfill our mission: to partner with families to help children with special healthcare needs live a great life.
We invite you to see it for yourself: watch our video, visit, volunteer, donate, attend events, or any of a thousand ways to get involved. After all, seeing is believing!