Exceptional Support from Head to Toe
ChildServe’s Orthotics program specialists design, develop, create, and fit custom braces, or orthoses, to maximize physical function for children with a variety of conditions. Our pediatric experts work to increase the independence, mobility, and comfort of each child to help them live a great life. We support children from head to toe – from our cranial symmetry service to our custom foot orthotics.
Why choose ChildServe?
Who We Serve
ChildServe’s Orthotics program offers services to children and young adults (age infant – 30 years) who have special healthcare needs. Specific conditions we treat or support include but are not limited to the following:
We Know Kids
Our entire organization is built around kids! ChildServe’s pediatric specialists provide healthcare designed for the developmental needs of children and young adults. The certified Orthotics specialists at ChildServe have specialized knowledge and skills to help kids and young adults achieve their goals and maintain movement. Our facilities and equipment are designed to make kids comfortable, safe, and inspired.
We Care About Families
Expert Orthotic Support
ChildServe’s certified Orthotic specialists offer custom-made braces or orthoses to children with special healthcare needs to help them reach their best possible physical function. Our specialists support families through every stage of the orthotics process. They meet to assess the child’s needs and goals, take careful measurements and casts to ensure proper fit, build the device, fit it specifically to the child, and follow up to make sure the device functions well as the child grows. Our Orthotics program offers a wide variety of orthoses for upper and lower extremities, spine, cranial remolding orthoses, and dynamic movementDynamic movement braces are a non-rigid bracing system that may be a better fit for some children than a rigid brace.
Our Team of Specialists
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to receive Orthotics services?
ChildServe’s Orthotics program offers services to children and young adults (age infant-30) who have special healthcare needs. Specific conditions we treat or support include but are not limited to the following:
- Cerebral Palsy
- Chromosomal Abnormalities
- Muscular Dystrophy
- Spina Bifida
- Asymmetric Brachycephaly
How are referrals made?
Referrals can be made by calling 515-727-0276.
How are services authorized and funded?
Orthotic services are funded through Iowa Medicaid, private insurance, or private pay. Services are authorized by the individual’s payor source and require a physician’s order, which ChildServe can help the family receive.
Where are services provided?
- ChildServe – Ames
- ChildServe – Johnston
We also offer on-site orthotic services for children enrolled in childcare at the ChildServe Developmental Center in Johnston or children receiving Medical Day Program services at our Des Moines location.
When are services provided?
- Monday through Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m
What kinds of Lower Extremity braces are offered?
ChildServe provides the following lower extremity braces:
- Custom plastic and metal ankle-foot (AFO) and knee-ankle-foot (KAFO) systems
- Custom hip-knee-ankle-foot orthoses (HKAFO)
- Hip abduction orthoses (SWASH, Scottish-Rite Orthoses, Maple Leaf Orthoses)
- Reciprocating gait orthosis (RGO)
- Dynamic ankle foot orthoses (Cascade style)
- Custom and prefabricated knee orthoses
- Soft AFO night splints
- Supramalleolar orthoses (SMO) (Surestep and Cascade styles)
What kinds of Upper Extremity braces are offered?
ChildServe’s Orthotics program provides the following upper extremity braces:
- Custom and prefabricated elbow orthoses
- Custom and prefabricated wrist hand orthoses (WHO)
What kinds of Spinal Orthoses are offered?
ChildServe’s Orthotics program provides the following spinal braces:
- Rigid and soft
- Custom and prefabricated cervical orthoses
- Custom molded body jackets – thorocolumbar lumbar sacral orthoses (TLSO)
- Neuromuscular control TLSO
- Custom and prefabricated neoprene vests (Benik) and corsets
- Dynamic Movement Orthosis (DMO)
What kinds of Foot Orthoses are offered?
- Custom longitudinal arch supports
- Custom UCBL foot supports
- Depth inlay and custom-fitted shoes
- Custom-molded shoes
- Modifications to shoes (heel/sole lifts)
ChildServe - Johnston
ChildServe - Ames
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of 5,700 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, injuries, and other special healthcare needs.