A Place to Thrive
ChildServe provides 24-hour skilled nursing care in a family-focused environment. We care for children, teens, and young adults who are unable to live at home due to their complex medical needs. Our intensive medical and nursing services support individuals with a variety of conditions. Along with expert medical care, we provide onsite therapy and medical equipment support to help each child and young adult live a full life.
Why choose ChildServe?
, MD, who treats children in the inpatient and outpatient programs.
in pediatrics, brain injury, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation.
Who We Serve
ChildServe’s long-term care unit provides 24-hour specialized nursing for children and young adults (infant – 22 year old) with complex medical conditions that require skilled care including the following:
We Know Kids
To help children safely access their world and stay comfortable, we provide a variety of onsite services including occupational, physical, speech, and respiratory therapy; medical nutrition; and adaptive equipment program. To enhance therapy and help kids be kids, we also offer recreational, musical, and aquatic therapy.
All of the treatments and services in ChildServe’s long-term care program support children with complex medical needs live a full life. We implement the following technology as needed:
- Bath safety equipment, adaptive equipment, wheelchairs, mobility aids (walkers, gait trainers, standers) and aids for daily living allow for the completion of daily tasks.
- Our on-site X-ray machine helps medically fragile children avoid the inconvenience of making an additional trip to the hospital.
- CommunicationAugmentative communication refers to providing ways for children to communicate when they cannot speak or write their needs.
devices allow children with special healthcare needs to express their thoughts, needs, and feelings. This includes providing adapted toys to help children access the world through play.
- We provide on-site orthotic“Orthotics” comes from a Greek word meaning “to straighten.” This medical service focuses on creating splints, braces, and other special equipment to help guide a joint or bone in growing or moving correctly. If a child breaks a bone, ChildServe’s orthotist may design a splint to provide easier movement once the initial cast is removed. Orthotics is also used to support children who have received a spinal cord injury or who have movement difficulties due to cerebral palsy.
services including custom splinting, spinal, and post-surgical orthotics, and extremity orthotics. RespiratoryAdvanced respiratory management means that ChildServe’s skilled registered nurses will provide and/or monitor tracheostomy care, airway clearance, asthma, and ventilator use.
technology allows us to care for children who are ventilators and tracheostomies.
- Medical Technology including enteral feedingEnteral feeding involves delivering the nutrients a person needs directly into a person’s stomach, or bowel. Common methods of enteral feeding include NG, gastrostomy, and jejunostomy. ChildServe supports all of these feeding options.
equipment, TPN, and IVs helps us care for children with feeding and nutrition difficulties.
- Our on-campus adaptive equipment (DME) workshop provides specialized wheelchair and positioning devices.
Living a Great Life
We Care about Families
Our Team of Specialists
Registered, Licensed Practical and Certified Pediatric Nurses
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get started?
Contact our Access Specialist by calling 515-331-8106.
How are services authorized and funded?
Program costs are authorized and funded through Iowa Medicaid and commercial insurance. Specific fees will be discussed during the intake/admission process.
Where are services provided?
Long-term Care services are offered at the inpatient program at ChildServe in Johnston.
When are services provided?
If you would like to make a referral, or if you have questions for our team, please email email@example.com. Be sure to include which location you are interested in so we can connect you with the right team member.
ChildServe Center - Johnston
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of more than 5,600 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, injuries, and other special healthcare needs.