Meet the 2021ChildServe Champions
ChildServe is pleased to announce the recipients of this year’s ChildServe Champions award, which is designated in two categories: one for corporations, foundations and organizations and the other for individuals or families. This year both Principal® and Margo and Don Blumenthal were named recipients, respectively. ChildServe Champions are celebrated as ChildServe’s most devoted supporters for advancing its mission through generosity, service and inspiring others to action.
“We are inspired and humbled by the generosity of both Principal and Margo and Don Blumenthal over the past three decades,” said Dr. Teri Wahlig, ChildServe CEO. “ChildServe would not be where we are today without the ongoing support of organizations like Principal and individuals like Margo and Don. Together, we are able to help provide the services children with special healthcare needs and their families in Iowa need to live a great life.”
Since 1989, Principal has built an exceptional relationship with ChildServe during a time of significant growth. The number of children being served at ChildServe has soared from less than 100 when the partnership began to 4,600 today. A few highlights of this support include:
- More than $1 million in cumulative gifts since 1989 has made Principal one of ChildServe’s top 10 cumulative donors.
- In ChildServe’s recently completed Forward Together campaign, Principal provided a $500,000 lead gift which will support a new state-of-the-art pediatric rehabilitation unit.
- Principal has sponsored ChildServe’s signature event, the Bubble Ball, since its inception in 2011.
- Support from Principal has helped ChildServe to expand programs and services, as well as purchase crucial therapy equipment.
“Helping people is an important part of our culture at Principal. That’s why the company, its employees, and the Principal Financial Group Foundation, Inc., work together to give back in the communities where our employees live and work,” said Jo Christine Miles, director of community relations for Principal. “We are proud to partner with ChildServe to improve the quality of life for thousands of Iowa children with special healthcare needs and their families.”
Margo and Don Blumenthal
Margo’s compassionate board service has been instrumental in ChildServe’s expansion of services and connection to the community. In addition, Margo and Don have made a significant impact in the following ways:
- Margo and Don played an instrumental role in launching ChildServe’s Respite program, which serves more than 600 children across the state of Iowa.
- They have donated more than $400,000 in support of ChildServe’s mission since 1991.
- The couple was an integral part of ChildServe’s recent $10 million Forward Together campaign, by providing a major gift.
- Margo and Don have sponsored ChildServe’s signature event, the Bubble Ball, since its inception in 2011.
- They are members of ChildServe’s Legacy Society, which includes estate plans that will support the organization for years to come.
“We are honored to receive this prestigious award from an organization near and dear to our hearts,” said Margo and Don. “We know helping families with resources to care for their children with special healthcare needs help to make our community a great place to live. We made our living here, and we want to give back here – and ChildServe is one of our top causes.”
About Principal Financial Group Foundation
The Principal Financial Group Foundation, Inc. (the “Principal® Foundation”) is a distinct, not for profit, undertaking separate from the Principal Financial Group, Inc. (“Principal”). The major focus of the Principal Foundation is to build financial security in the communities where Principal operates. The Principal Foundation has $200M assets under management and directs its returns to helping people learn, earn, and save. While the Principal Foundation receives funding from Principal, the Principal Foundation is an independent organization. The Principal Foundation does not practice any form of investment advisory services and is not authorized to do so.
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of 4,600 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, injuries, and other special healthcare needs.