A Place to Thrive
ChildServe provides 24-hour skilled nursing care in a family-focused environment. We care for children, teens, and young adults who are unable to live at home due to their complex medical needs. Our intensive medical and nursing services support individuals with a variety of conditions. Along with expert medical care, we provide onsite therapy and medical equipment support to help each child and young adult live a full life.
Why choose ChildServe?
ChildServe has one of the two board-certified pediatric rehab doctors in Iowa, Fred Klingbeil“Dr. Fred,” as many ChildServe kids call him, provides expert rehabilitation and medical management of children with special healthcare needs. Dr. Fred’s years of experience and knowledge in pediatric care are a valuable resource., MD, who treats children and young adults in the inpatient and outpatient programs.
ChildServe’s pediatric experts, like our nurses and therapists, have specialized training and additional knowledge to support children and young adults with complex medical needs.
in pediatrics, brain injury, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation.
We want kids to be kids! We help children and young adults living at ChildServe participate in recreational therapy, community events, aquatics, and music therapy to care for the whole individual.
Our pediatric team provides physical, cognitive, spiritual, psychological, and social support to help each child and young adult thrive.
Who We Serve
ChildServe’s Inpatient Complex Medical Care program provides 24-hour specialized nursing for children and young adults (infant – 22 year old) with complex medical conditions that require skilled care including the following:
We Know Kids and Young Adults
Our entire organization is built around young people! ChildServe’s pediatric specialists provide healthcare designed for the developmental needs of children and young adults. The pediatric experts in our program have specialized knowledge and skills to help kids and young adults maximize health. Our facilities and equipment are designed to make kids and young adults comfortable, safe and inspired.
To help children and young adults safely access their world and stay comfortable, we provide a variety of onsite services including occupational, physical, speech and respiratory therapy; medical nutrition; and adaptive equipment program. To enhance therapy and enrich the lives of the kids and young adults we serve, we also offer recreational, musical and aquatic therapy.
All of the treatments and services in ChildServe’s Inpatient Complex Medical Care program support children and young adults with complex medical needs live a full life. We implement the following technology as needed:
- Bath safety equipment, adaptive equipment, wheelchairs, mobility aids (walkers, gait trainers, standers) and aids for daily living allow for the completion of daily tasks.
- Our on-site X-ray machine helps medically fragile children and young adults avoid the inconvenience of making an additional trip to the hospital.
- CommunicationAugmentative communication refers to providing ways for children to communicate when they cannot speak or write their needs.
devices allow children and young adults with special healthcare needs to express their thoughts, needs and feelings. This includes providing adapted toys to help children access the world through play.
- We provide on-site orthotic“Orthotics” comes from a Greek word meaning “to straighten.” This medical service focuses on creating splints, braces and other special equipment to help guide a joint or bone in growing or moving correctly. If a child or young adult breaks a bone, ChildServe’s orthotist may design a splint to provide easier movement once the initial cast is removed. Orthotics is also used to support children and young adults who have received a spinal cord injury or who have movement difficulties due to cerebral palsy.
services including custom splinting, spinal and post-surgical orthotics, and extremity orthotics. RespiratoryAdvanced respiratory management means that ChildServe’s skilled registered nurses will provide and/or monitor tracheostomy care, airway clearance, asthma and ventilator use.
technology allows us to care for children and young adults who are ventilators and tracheostomies.
- Medical Technology including enteral feedingEnteral feeding involves delivering the nutrients a person needs directly into a person’s stomach, or bowel. Common methods of enteral feeding include NG, gastrostomy and jejunostomy. ChildServe supports all of these feeding options.
equipment, TPN, and IVs helps us care for children and young adults with feeding and nutrition difficulties.
- Our on-campus adaptive equipment (DME) workshop provides specialized wheelchair and positioning devices.
Living a Great Life
We Care about Families
As part of ChildServe’s continuum of care, our specialists partner with parents regarding their child’s condition and care plan. Our long-term care unit invites families to participate in their child’s life as much as possible. We offer spaces to host family celebrations onsite, while our Serenity Room offers families a quiet space to care for spiritual needs. The Healing Garden allows children and young adults to spend time in nature and enjoy our adapted swingset. Our Medical Social Workers offer care coordination to help young adults and their families make the transition to another care facility as the young adult prepares to age out of eligibility at ChildServe.
Our Team of Specialists
Registered, Licensed Practical and Certified Pediatric Nurses
RespiratoryAdvanced respiratory management means that ChildServe’s respiratory therapists will provide and/or monitor tracheostomy care, airway clearance, asthma, and ventilator use.
Are you a nurse looking for a rewarding career?
ChildServe is hiring!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I get started?
Contact our Access Specialist by calling 515-331-8106.
How are services authorized and funded?
Program costs are authorized and funded through Iowa Medicaid and commercial insurance. Specific fees will be discussed during the intake/admission process.
Where are services provided?
Inpatient Complex Medical Care services are offered at ChildServe in Johnston.
When are services provided?
Inpatient Complex Medical Care services are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
ChildServe Center - Johnston
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of nearly 5,800 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, injuries, and other special healthcare needs.