Improving Life Skills
Why choose ChildServe?
in pediatrics, brain injury, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation.
, the Universal Exercise Unit (UEU)The Universal Exercise Unit (UEU) is a favorite with many kids, who sometimes refer to it as “the Octopus.” The UEU provides a unique and effective physical therapy option in which children are comfortably suspended just off the ground or therapy table. Therapists are able to work specific muscles and coordination skills through this therapy.
, Interactive MetronomeInteractive Metronome is an evidence-based assessment and training tool that helps strengthen the brain’s ability to synchronize thought and movement to a steady metronome beat., and DynavisionDynavision is a leading technology used in the assessment and rehabilitation of concussions. The program helps ChildServe specialists develop individual programs for each child or young adult served. within our state-of-the-art, kid-friendly facilities.
Who We Serve
We Know Kids
ChildServe offers a variety of specialty areas and clinics to help children reach specific goals faster. Our Occupational Therapy specialty programs include the Astronaut Training Program, Animal-Assisted Therapy, Brachial Plexus Injury (BPI) Program, Life Skills, Motor Planning and Coordination, Neuromotor Reflex Intensives, Sensory Integration and Praxis Testing, SOS Feeding Therapy, Spasticity Management, Therapeutic Listening, Therapeutic Positioning, and Visual Rehabilitation.
We Care about Families
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to receive services?
- Have skills below age-level or are at risk of delay in mobility, fine motor, self-help, or feeding
- Medically stable
- No actively contagious condition
- Able to tolerate exposure to other people and children and transport to/from ChildServe
- Appropriate endurance up through prescribed therapy sessions
How can Occupational Therapy help my child?
- Fine Motor Skills / Handwriting
- Visual Motor & Perceptual Skills
- Activities of Daily Living
- Sensory Processing / Sensory Integration
- Motor Planning / Coordination
- Splinting / Joint Mobility / Casting
- Developmental Skills
- Play Skills
- Adaptive Equipment Recommendation
- Wheelchair Positioning
- Environmental Modification / Accessibility
- Feeding Therapy
- Spasticity Management
- Therapeutic Positioning
- Neuro Re-education / Reflex Integration
- Development of Restorative / Maintenance Programs
How are referrals made?
Where are ChildServe’s Occupational Therapy services offered?
ChildServe’s facilities and equipment are designed specifically for children. Therapy services take place year-round at the following locations:
- ChildServe – Ames
- ChildServe – Des Moines
- ChildServe – Johnston
- ChildServe – Iowa City
- ChildServe – Cedar Rapids
We also offer on-site occupational therapy for children enrolled in childcare at the ChildServe Developmental Center in Johnston or children receiving Medical Childcare services at our ChildServe – Des Moines location.
How are services authorized and funded?
When are ChildServe’s Occupational Therapy services offered?
- Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Hours of operation for Iowa City:
- Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
What specialized equipment or technology does ChildServe use?
- Interactive Metronome
- FES Bike
- Universal Exercise Unit (UEU)
- Bioness Integrated Therapy System (BITS)
View our Annual Outcomes
Ames, IA 50010
Johnston, IA 50131
ChildServe – Cedar Rapids
1661 Boyson Square Dr., Suite 100
Hiawatha, IA 52233
Coralville, IA 52241
If you would like to make a referral, or if you have questions for our team, please call the location of your choice or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
ChildServe - Johnston
ChildServe - Ames
ChildServe - Iowa City
ChildServe - Cedar Rapids
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of more than 5,600 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, injuries, and other special healthcare needs.
Johnston | 515-727-8750
Ames | 515-232-7220
Des Moines | 515-280-5332
Iowa City | 319-351-5437
Cedar Rapids | 319-777-7450
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.