Improving Life Skills
Why choose ChildServe?
in pediatrics, brain injury, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation.
, the Universal Exercise Unit (UEU)The Universal Exercise Unit (UEU) is a favorite with many kids, who sometimes refer to it as “the Octopus.” The UEU provides a unique and effective physical therapy option in which children are comfortably suspended just off the ground or therapy table. Therapists are able to work specific muscles and coordination skills through this therapy.
, Interactive MetronomeInteractive Metronome is an evidence-based assessment and training tool that helps strengthen the brain’s ability to synchronize thought and movement to a steady metronome beat., and DynavisionDynavision is a leading technology used in the assessment and rehabilitation of concussions. The program helps ChildServe specialists develop individual programs for each child or young adult served. within our state-of-the-art, kid-friendly facilities.
Who We Serve
We Know Kids
We Care about Families
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to receive services?
- Have skills below age-level or are at risk of delay in mobility, communication, fine motor, self-help, or feeding
- Medically stable
- No actively contagious condition
- Able to tolerate exposure to other people and children and transport to/from ChildServe
- Appropriate endurance up through prescribed therapy sessions
How can Occupational Therapy help my child?
The Occupational Therapists at ChildServe can help you find programs designed to support your child’s needs. Common areas of treatment include:
- Fine Motor Skills / Handwriting
- Visual Motor & Perceptual Skills
- Activities of Daily Living
- Sensory Processing / Sensory Integration
- Motor Planning / Coordination
- Splinting / Joint Mobility / Casting
- Developmental Skills
- Play Skills
- Adaptive Equipment Recommendation
- Wheelchair Positioning
- Environmental Modification / Accessibility
- Feeding Therapy
- Spasticity Management
- Therapeutic Positioning
- Neuro Re-education / Reflex Integration
- Development of Restorative / Maintenance Programs
How are referrals made?
To make a referral or request more information, call in to talk with a Medical Social Worker who will help identify a funding source and send out an application for services.
- Johnston and Ames: 515-331-4518
- Iowa City: 319-351-5437
Where are ChildServe’s Occupational Therapy services offered?
- ChildServe – Ames
- ChildServe – Johnston
- ChildServe – Iowa City
We also offer on-site occupational therapy for children enrolled in childcare at the ChildServe Childcare Center in Johnston or children receiving Day Health services at our ChildServe – Des Moines location.
How are services authorized and funded?
When are ChildServe’s Occupational Therapy services offered?
- Monday-Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Fridays from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Hours of operation for Iowa City:
- Monday-Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Extended hours may be available by appointment only.
What specialized equipment or technology does ChildServe use?
- Interactive Metronome
- FES Bike
- Universal Exercise Unit (UEU)
View our Annual Outcomes
If you would like to make a referral, or if you have questions for our team, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include which location you are interested in so we can connect you with the right team member.
ChildServe Center - Johnston
ChildServe Center - Ames
ChildServe Center - Iowa City
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of more than 4,600 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, acquired injuries, and other special healthcare needs.