Expert Spinal Cord Care
Why Choose ChildServe?
accreditations in pediatrics, brain injury, and inpatient and outpatient rehabilitation.
Who We Serve
A traumatic event
Infectious diseases such as Meningitis or Encephalitis
Complications of spinal surgery
Spinal cord strokes or aortic aneurysm
We Know Kids
Expert Medical Care
We Care about Families
Our Team of Pediatric Specialists
Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to receive this service?
Our Spinal Cord Injury program serves children who are leaving an acute-care hospital, but continue to require medical and therapy services. ChildServe provides high-quality healthcare for children and young adults (birth through 21 years old) who have experienced a complete or incomplete spinal cord injury at any cervical, thoracic, lumbar level.
Causes of injury often include:
- A traumatic event
- Guillain-Barre Syndrome
- Transverse Myelitis
- Infectious diseases such as Meningitis or Encephalitis
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Complications of spinal surgery
- Spinal cord strokes or aortic aneurysm
- Other myelopathies
- Congenital malformation of the spine such as spina bifida
In addition to all of our inpatient rehabilitation services (link to inpatient rehab), ChildServe’s specialty rehabilitation team can also treat and support conditions that are commonly seen with spinal cord injuries:
- Ventilator and tracheostomy, including parent and patient training
- Weaning from a ventilator (excluding phrenic nerve pacing)
- Spasticity management
- Pressure ulcer prevention and management
- Splinting and positioning to manage and prevent contractures & pressure ulcers
- Assisted mobility and wheelchair training
- Neurogenic bowel and bladder management and training
- Pain management
- Specialty nutritional needs
- Swallowing and feeding (dysphagia)
- Management and training following augmentations/surgeries
How are referrals made?
How are services authorized and funded?
Where are services provided?
When are services provided?
View our Annual Outcomes
ChildServe Center - Johnston
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of more than 4,500 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, acquired injuries, and other special healthcare needs.