Hello from the CEO:
Moving Forward Together in 2023
Have you heard the saying, “Stop looking at life in your rearview mirror…you’re not going that way”? It makes a good point. Focusing on the future helps us move towards our goals. I think about that as the new year rolls around. What do we want to achieve in 2023? It’s a good time to make some resolutions and get going.
At ChildServe, we like setting ambitious goals and achieving results. But it becomes easy to get caught up in the plan to get to our desired future, connecting as we often do our success and happiness to achieving the end goal. I’m reminded of some insight I learned from the book The Gap and the Gain, the High Achievers’ Guide to Happiness, Confidence, and Success. It changed my thinking about looking in the rearview mirror.
Kick off the new year with a few words from ChildServe CEO Dr. Teri Wahlig!
The premise of the book is that the ideal state is just that, an idea. It can never be fully attained. What we CAN achieve are realistic goals along the way. For example, ChildServe’s vision is to transform lives by continuously improving pediatric healthcare. That aspirational future may never be achieved, there will always be more to do. Yet, we can have a tremendous impact and change the lives of children and their families along the way.
How we measure success is important. If we only measure the gap between where we are on the path to the ideal future, we can set ourselves up for failure and frustration. It helps to periodically look backwards and measure how far we’ve come from where we started to realize how much we have gained along the way.
So, as we begin 2023, a peek in the rearview mirror to see what we accomplished last year might be the best way to start the new year. By any measure, last year was a very busy and successful year. I am so proud of all we accomplished together.
- Served 5,545 children, teens, and young adults in 2022, an increase of 377 from 2021
- Hired 535 new team members, including 40 therapists (all disciplines), 59 nurses & CNAs and 57 autism service providers
- Served children from 74 counties in Iowa
- Broke ground for a major expansion project to double the size of our Ames facility and developed plans to grow in Iowa City and Cedar Rapids
- Built a brand-new rehab unit, serving kids like Ruby
- Built a brand new three-year strategic plan
2022 was a remarkable year, and we couldn’t have done it without all of you. Thank you for trusting us to walk this journey together.
So, what do we have planned for 2023?
There is much to do, and we couldn’t be more excited to expand our mission to help additional children live their best lives. Our new strategic plan, Strategy 2025, provides inspiration and direction. Strategy 2025’s three focus areas are: improve child health, improve organizational health, and build strategic partnerships; or as we like to say: do more, do it better, and do it together. Here are some key initiatives planned for this year:
Improve Child Health ~ Do More
- Regional Growth | Along with expanding our Ames and Iowa City facilities, we plan to open our first satellite location, ChildServe – Cedar Rapids, where we will provide rehab therapies and autism services. Watch for more updates later this month!
Improve Organizational Health ~ Do it Better
- Workforce | We will continue to enhance our efforts to attract, hire, and retain team members so we can expand to meet the growing need for services in all our locations. The ChildServe culture, staff engagement, and satisfaction scores remain strong, and we will continue to focus on making ChildServe the best place to work. Watch this WHO news story to meet some of our team members and hear what they love about ChildServe. See our openings here.
Build Strategic Partnerships ~ Do It Together
- Government Relations | We have expanded our team so we can increase advocacy efforts with legislators, policymakers, and payers to improve the pediatric healthcare system. Take a look at this year’s legislative agenda.
- Fundraising | We plan to increase our fundraising efforts so we can provide additional support for our programs, purchase specialized equipment, and enhance our facilities. To help, check out our Amazon wish lists or make a donation.
Thank you for partnering with us on this journey. We’ve checked the rearview mirror, fastened our seat belts, and are ready to roll in 2023. I can’t wait to see what we accomplish this year!
Dr. Teri Wahlig
ChildServe improves the health and well-being of nearly 5,800 children each year through specialized clinical, home, and community-based programs and services. We serve children with developmental delays, disabilities, injuries, and other special healthcare needs.